Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Wednesday: Stones

Funny that my daily reading today was about stones, for my whole day seems to have been filled with beautiful stones.  And also ones I need to put down.

Again from The Book of Awakening, Mark Nepo writes,

The time has come to put our stones down. . .

As long as we clutch to one thing. . .our hands cannot open or reach for anything else. 

The timeless and essential drama of living into the unknown resides in this simple sequence.  We must risk putting down the stone or stick or gun we are grasping, in order to build or touch or make music of any kind.

 

This is Glisteri.  Today I waded here, and I can't tell you just how beautiful it is.  Rounded rocks, baby blue waters, calm cove, no one around except a small rustic taverna and a cat sunning its belly on the beach near the water.  One week ago it would have been flooded by a movie cast and crew.  I was glad today that they had finished up and gone home.  This was a peaceful haven. 

After Glisteri we hiked to the ancient tombs of Sendoukia at Mt. Delphi.  They date to 3 b.c., and there are three tombs carved out of the rock.  No one really knows what these are for, whether they are for hiding goods or burying the dead, but one has a pillow carved in the rock.  I got down in one for the fun of it and was glad I am a pretty flexible person to be able to get back out.  A storm was approaching across the water, so we decided to head back down the trail.

We three artists at the studio are in high production mode since we have a few days left to finish our work.  I'm here late after eating a nice dinner cooked by Vivian and Sandra.  On the way back to the studio after dinner, I took this photo.  There's a full moon over Skopelos, and I want to share it with you.  I took this just minutes ago.

And this luxurious studio space is where I'll be working for the next few hours.  I have several books in progress that I'd like to finish before I go to bed tonight.

Have a great day, and remember to try to let go of things that need letting go of. . . I'll try too as I work tonight.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I have no other words.  We will share your moon later in the evening.  Love, Mom Carter

Anonymous said...

Uh-oh--your blog stops without telling us where you headed after Glisteri. I think any place you see will be utterly unforgetable.

Anonymous said...

OK, OK, I go back to the blog--and the rest appears. Your space--outside, inside, and internal--seems so special. Is it because the tight time frame forces you to focus? Is it possible to keep that kind of intensity, or must you set up some kind of artificial deadlines after Greece is left behind?

I think it was Hemingway who wrote for two hours each morning, put down the pen, and went off to do his manly-man stuff. My problem comes with a certain kind of all-or-nothing thinking. If I'm not "artist-ing" all the time, I'm not doing anything. Oh, well--I'm only 65. Plenty of time to keep on learning and growing. Love you, Nita Sue

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your quick responses, you two!  And for everyone else who has commented -- I'm sorry that I haven't emailed you individually.  Some emails I don't have.  Please send along to me and I will respond individually to you.

From Skopelos with affection,
Amy

Anonymous said...

...and to think, I looked at that moon last night (Wednesday) and thought how utterly beautiful it was.  I was in my garden with my friend Peggy;  we were cleaning out the dried up plants...making ready to put the garden to bed for another year.  Soon it will be time for me to head back to AZ.  Maybe, just maybe, I'll make it to see you all this year.  Hugs, Sue