Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A Monk, a nun, and a potter

 In the monastery courtyard.

Yesterday I visited a monastery and a monastery-turned-convent.  Both date back 500 years.  I don't have my little notebook with me where I wrote down the names -- I think the monastery is Soteri -- but, my apologies.  Both places are Greek Orthodox, pretty much the only religion in Greece, and I can see my studio from the hillside they are on.  It's a small island.  We were greeted by a monk and a nun at the respective places, and at both places we were fed a chewy candy that tasted like rose water.  It didn't taste too great, kind of flowery, but, hey, it was probably blessed. 

If you're reading, I lit a candle for you.  In a place where people have been doing that for 500 years.

 Inside the convent.

After that, we visited a reknowned potter named Rodios.  His family has produced ancient forms in clay since 1900.  Their work is so valued that Hitler sent a plane to Skopelos to completely wipe them out -- any and all Rodios pottery was taken to Hitler.  (They made more.)  Yesterday, the artist (the grandson of the first Rodios potter) was wonderful to meet, demonstrated for us, let me take many photos, and let us see the tools his grandfather made that he still uses, the drying cabinet, and his wood fire kiln.  In Jill's words, he doesn't even know what a glaze is; all color is created through reduction firing processes.  What a pleasure that visit was.

After a long day in the studio today, I went to the beach again.  Then I climbed the hill to my second home. I brought back some video and photos for you.

 Have a great day and a good night's sleep.

Clear water, and warm 

 I didn't pay for this beach chair

                                                     
   Why I brought the cheaper camera!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the sound of the sea...ndscart

Anonymous said...

hey even though you brought the cheap camera becareful!!!!!!  love you

M

Anonymous said...

Dear Amy,
On my way to pottery class at HMA tonight, I remembered I hadn't been keeping up with your diary!  My curiosity was huge!  Isn't it wonderful to have yourself in something creative that you love?  I am not "good" at potting but I do love it and I love the feel of the clay, my hands in the mud and water and the vessels that evolve each time I 'do it'.  Sometimes I just pust the clay down and put it aside to wedge and start over but over the years, I've become content with whatever happens with the clay.  Maybe because I have no expectations.... which may not be a proper thing but so it goes. ;)

I love the ocean and thanks so much for the sound.  Beth B and I were just talking 2 days ago about the wonder of the beach and the ocean.  We both miss those times. And, did you notice all those shells about your feet!  It's been forever since I've seen a beach with shells in such plenty.

Ialso love it that you've connected so with the animals and I do believe animals know what kind of spirit they're dealing with in a person.

Thank you so much for sharing this uplifting and exciting time for you with all of us.
Love to you and all your 4 legger friends!  Sue